Or the assignments which are due next week:1. Read Walter Benjamin's "The Work Of Art In the Age Of Mechanical Reproduction". Post a question about the text before next Sunday. I will post the text in the postal shortly.
2. Bring in suggestions for events we should go to this fall.
3. Post on the blog a comment on Das Boot by Wolfgang Petersen. Respond to the pace of the film, its length, the physical (somatic) effect it had on you as you watched as well as how you felt about the protagonists of the film. Two sentences max please.
4. Bring in the assignment we started in class. Minimum one image, please take into consideration all the information you got about the subject you are representing (not only race and class, music and film favorites may bring in interesting tensions in your images). You may bring in a digital file or a print. First week is the hardest. Good luck. If you have any questions e-mail me.
2 comments:
I watched this movie one lazy saturday afternoon when I twelve, it's been a long time. And I remembered parts of the movie, mainly from the sub sinking at Gibraltar to the end. So I knew the ending and kept anticipating the ending and the movie is awful long anyhow. I found it very sad, this time around. I empathized and had more of an investment in the mens stories and even though I knew that the boat would sink in the end it still was a bit shocking. Pathetic really. The truly heroical strikes me as a mixture of fear, desperation, and circumstance. Also the movie had its own beauty.
The whole time I watched the movie I felt really claustrophobic.I think being in that classroom with no windows helped intensify that feeling along with the fact that the majority of the movie is filmed within the confines of the submarine. Most of the scenes were shot so close to the actors that the feeling of claustrophobia is forever present. It also doesn't help that the whole movie is one of the most intense movies I've ever seen. The crew members were constantly bombarded by underwater charges and the feeling of dread never went away even in the quiter scenes.
It was easy to identify with the characters even when they're from a completely different time and place. In the end we're all human and those oh so human emotions come through no matter what.
i'm new to this blogging thing so i was wondering how one becomes a team member of a blog?
Post a Comment